Home Job Board Parks Worker
Posted Date: January 31, 2023
Closing Date: February 24, 2023
|Contact||The Town of Canmore|
Why work for the Town of Canmore? This is the perfect job to complement your winter seasonal employment or university schooling. As part of the Town of Canmore Parks team you will put your mind, labour and equipment operation skills to work. You will be amazed at what can be achieved when people work together with a passion for this community. Parks maintenance work is critical in keeping Canmore beautiful and enjoyable for all who live here and visit us.
Reporting to the Parks Team Leaders, the successful candidates will assist with the maintenance of public assets such as:
• Parks, berms / boulevards, reserves (Municipal Reserves, Environmental Reserves, Lease lands)
• Sports fields / ball diamonds
• Trails network
• Amenities: picnic tables, benches, signs, fences, sign kiosks and public art
• Parks Facilities: boarded rinks, tennis courts, skate park, disc golf course, washrooms, dog parks, mountain bike parks, playgrounds.
• Horticulture: shrubs, trees, hazard trees, flower barrels / beds and invasive species.
• Cemetery: mowing, leveling gravels, digging and back filling graves
• Special events, interdepartmental assistance, emergency response
• Provide pleasant customer service to teammates, residents, and visitors of Canmore.
All individuals will be required to drive ½ – 3/4-ton trucks (short and long box)
Selected individuals will drive vehicles / equipment such as:
• Skid steers, Tool cat, Tractor
• One-ton trucks (short and long box)
• Ride on mowers: Toro 4010D, JD1575, Kubota T / GR series mowers
• Utility Vehicles
Selected individuals will provide assistance to the Parks Team Leaders by:
• Leading smaller teams (up to 7 people) with infield work, monitor and report on team function, morale, and productivity
• Acting as mentors to returning or new seasonal staff members
• Directly assist Team Leads with business area tasks like inspections and irrigation work.
Qualifications and Attributes
The successful candidates must possess an unrestricted Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License. In addition, you must possess the following attributes:
• Embodies the Core Values of the Town of Canmore: Wellness, Respect, Integrity, Service, Teamwork
• Self-starter who demonstrates initiative, who is able to work unsupervised and in teams.
• Confident, personable and approachable with excellent customer service skills
• Able to demonstrate and maintain a high level of physical fitness.
• Able to lift and carry 55 lbs.
• Ability to refrain from using your personal cell phone, IPod, or other electronic devices while on shift.
• Experience and or interest in working outdoors in a fast-changing mountain climate in a variety of inclement weather conditions.
• Basic knowledge of landscape practices, lawn care and maintenance is an asset but not a requirement
• Previous experience in the safe operation of various grounds maintenance equipment (mowers, weed whips, tractors, tamper, and leaf blower) is an asset but not a requirement, we hire for attitude and train the skill.
Hours and Season
This is a temporary seasonal position, working 40 hours/week, generally over 5 days. Start dates are available for April 4th and May 2nd with contracts ending August 25th through September & October 2023. Shift, weekend, statutory holiday (July 1st), and emergency response work shall be required as needed. Unpaid vacation during the term maybe approved pending length of service as: 4 months – 5 days, 5 months – 6 days, 6 month – 7 days, 7 months – 8 days.
The starting rate for this position is $19.71 per hour. The Town offers a Health Spending Account for returning Parks Workers.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to state their preferred start and end date, qualifications, and attributes. Application closing date is February 26 at 9.59 pm (MT). Interviews will take place in person and online, from February 22 – March 10, 2023.
To apply, please combine your cover letter and resume into a single document (PDF or Word) and submit online here.
To help us learn more about you, in your cover letter please clearly detail the following:
1. Why you want to be a Parks Worker with the Town of Canmore? Why Canmore?
2. What interpersonal skills and attitude you have that would make you a great addition to our team?
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.