The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association advocates for the well-being of our members and the betterment of health and wellness throughout the province. As such, we continue to strive towards forward-thinking leadership in recreation and parks development, advocacy and innovation, and act as a a prominent voice for recreation and parks.
We work to keep our members updated on our advocacy efforts throughout the province, including recommendations we make to Alberta’s political parties. Please stay tuned for more information on the advocacy work we are currently working on.
If you have any questions about our advocacy efforts, please contact Steve Allan, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
SPAR Matters Election Campaign
For the first time ever, the sport, physical activity and recreation (SPAR) sector has come together to provide a common voice for the provincial election advocacy. The goal of the SPAR Matters campaign is to elevate the importance of SPAR within government policies, planning and investments by spreading the word on why SPAR Matters.
The SPAR sector is asking for new investments totalling $100 Million per year that will go to:
- Capacity building at the provincial level to ensure quality, safe and affordable SPAR opportunities are available to as many children and youth as possible ($25M/year)
- Innovation funds at the provincial and grassroots level to assist with volunteer coach and official attraction, retention and training; supporting more part-time and seasonal paid staff in the SPAR sector; increasing the number of no-cost/low-cost SPAR programming available in the province; and connecting to much needed research and data to support the health of all Albertans ($25M/year)
- Dedicated infrastructure funding specifically for SPAR infrastructure to assist with much needed retrofits, upgrades and new facilities ($50M/year)
The SPAR sector is asking for a Ministry of Wellness that will:
- Have a dedicated focus on the health and quality of life of all Albertans using prevention based programming and supports
- Work across multiple Ministries within government to set, achieve and be responsible for outcomes and priorities for healthier Albertans
Let’s harness the power of our collective networks and make SPAR a priority this election! Learn how you can voice your support for SPAR by visiting the SPAR Matters Website.