Home Job Board Parks Supervisor – Infrastructure and Waskasoo Park Services
|City of Red Deer
Posted Date: July 27, 2023
Closing Date: August 18, 2023
|City of Red Deer
Centrally located between Alberta’s two largest cities with over 100km of beautiful trails within Red Deer City Limits our City has a lot to offer. The City of Red Deer is always on the hunt for talented and success driven people. We are always seeking creative and skilled individuals with the ability and desire to lead in our dynamic workplace.
The Opportunity: The City of Red Deer is currently recruiting to fill the permanent full-time position of Parks Supervisor – Infrastructure & Waskasoo Park Services for our Community Services – Parks & Public Works department.
This position is responsible for effectively leading, directing, evaluating and promoting Parks Infrastructure and Waskasoo Park that includes picnic shelters, restrooms, skate parks, splash parks, trails, pathways, playgrounds, outdoor rinks, and winter operations. This involves leading and supervising union staff and contractors in parks operations, capital planning and development initiatives, and providing exceptional customer service to residents, stakeholders, community groups, schools and internal departments. The position also initiates, administers and manages agreements and contracts with major parks users, specialized facilities within Waskasoo Park, community groups, service clubs, and concession operators within the Parks network. Enhancing community development, risk management for staff and public, budget management, communications, planning and public relations are also key aspects of this position.
As our preferred candidate, you will have:
• Related post-secondary training such as Recreation and Parks Administration, Horticulture, Landscaping, Landscape Architecture, Turf Grass maintenance or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of five years of progressively more responsible and diverse exposure to a broad range of professional parks experience.
• Health and safety training required.
• Completion of first aid and C.P.R. courses.
• Experience in plan and specification interpretation, along with survey procedures.
• Experience with current environmental and ecological practices.
• Experience with parks construction and playground safety and typical construction methods.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of the philosophy and objectives of municipal recreation and parks and of the principles of public park management, operation and maintenance.
• Thorough knowledge of understanding of Cemetery Operations including the Provincial Cemetery Act is an asset.
• Ability to develop and maintain sound operation and maintenance procedures and systems, policies and procedures, and operations manuals.
• Ability to establish cordial relations with subordinates, City officials, City departments, contractors, school boards, community associations, business community, service clubs, institutions, and the general public.
• Knowledge of local, Federal and Provincial legislation and City by-laws governing the operation and development of park facilities and public spaces.
• Demonstrated ability to engage in continuous learning and on-the-job training.
If you like what you have read and think this is the job for you; come build your career with the City of Red Deer. We are committed to a healthy, vibrant, and sustainable community. Our employees are the cornerstone of our organization and working with us will provide you with the opportunity to work in an ever-growing environment and to work with an awesome group of people.
We welcome applications until August 18, 2023.
For further information or to apply, please visit our website at:
Applicants not contacted are thanked for their interest.
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.