Home Job Board Operations Manager – Cardel Rec South (South Fish Creek Recreation Association)
|City of Calgary
Posted Date: July 10, 2023
Closing Date: July 14, 2023
|City of Calgary
The South Fish Creek Recreation Association (SFCRA) is a not-for-profit organization that operates Cardel Rec South; a very busy community recreation facility. We are proud to offer our community four ice arenas, gymnasiums, eight multi-purpose rental/program rooms, and a variety of recreation programs. In addition, we have numerous tenants whose services complement our mandate.
We are proud to be an equal Partner in the delivery of services and operations of the South Fish Creek Complex, a multi-partner recreation, education and library complex located under one roof in the Shawnessy Towne Centre.
Reporting to the General Manager, this position provides operational leadership in the provision of high quality maintenance, guest services, safety and facility oversight at SFCRA. In addition, the Operations Manager is accountable for the planning, directing and monitoring of all operational activities. This can include facilities and spaces under licenses to occupy, joint use agreements and 3rd party operating agreements. A key component of the role is providing leadership and supervision of all facility operations staff and contractors. The operations manager works collaboratively with other related departments to develop and oversee the facilities assets’ life-cycle, infrastructure maintenance, all within budget.
This position is required to be available and on call for after-hours response, and could be required to work evenings, weekends and Statutory Holidays.
Specific accountabilities will include:
• Plans and oversees all operational and maintenance activities, ensuring asset management meets or exceeds SFCRA standards and planned repairs, preventative maintenance and replacement projects are adequately resources through SFCRA processes and timelines.
• Manage and coordinate all building activities in a dynamic and fast paced environment while balancing responsibilities of the role, providing oversight and stop gap support for the operational team
• Monitor and manage refrigeration plant in accordance with the established maintenance schedule to ensure proper operation of the refrigeration, HVAC, water and hydronic systems for the facilities; monitor system readings and alarms and record critical information; perform initial troubleshooting and minor maintenance; and take appropriate action
• Participate in annual operating budget planning exercises. Responsible for preparing capital expenditures and operational budget and Lifecycle/Asset Management.
• Monitoring expenditures of time, money, and other resources, reporting on variances.
• Plan, coordinate, schedule and implement maintenance and repair of facility fixtures and components. Tasks may include but are not limited to minor electrical/plumbing/drywall repairs, painting, arena glass replacement, and hockey / net refurbishing.
• Manages and monitors all vendors, service providers, tenants, and contractors working in the facility to ensure expected safety and security, workmanship, contractual obligations and service levels are maintained.
• Supervise, train, mentor, evaluate, and develop operational leadership breadth and depth.
• Establish and maintain good team relationships by assisting staff and guests, fostering and promoting a cooperative and harmonious working environment to ensure the needs of users are met
• Maintain all plans and record drawings in connection with repair work and construction.
• Duties as required or assigned
• Minimum of Ten (10) plus years related facility operations experience
o preference will be given to recreation facility experience.
o Ice making expertise would be considered an asset
• Five (5) plus years of management experience
• Demonstrates exceptional problem-solving skills and attention to detail
• Ability to read and interrupt blueprints and schematics
• Related college/Technical Diploma
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and email
• Possess strong technical and trouble shooting skills with BMS systems
• Strong staff management, including, scheduling, performance evaluations, mentorship and development
• Vast knowledge of building electrical, plumbing, mechanical, HVAC and building structural systems and applicable government legislation
• Knowledge of refrigeration equipment and general facility maintenance protocols and procedures.
• Proven Experience of preventative maintenance programs and procedures
• Ability to perform the physical duties of the position
• Ability and willingness to work shift work, weekends and evening hours
o On call after hours is occasionally required
• Ability to communicate effectively in a responsible and professional manner
• Possession of a valid Standard First Aid, C.P.R, Level C and AED certifications
• Criminal record Clearance, including Vulnerable Sector Search will be required
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
Competition #OPSSMNG202307 Closes at 4 pm, Friday July 14, 2023
Applicants are asked to submit their resume in person, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the competition # in the subject line.
Cardel Rec South/SFCRA thanks all applicants; Interviewing and hiring may commence prior to the posted closing date; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.