Home Job Board Instructor/Lifeguard
|City of Whitehorse||
Posted Date: November 8, 2023
Closing Date: November 9, 2023
|Contact||City of Whitehorse|
POSITION DESCRIPTION *
Job posting closes: November 9, 2023 at 05:00 pm Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this job posting – The duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full – time, permanent part-time, temporary full – time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies based on the requirements of the organization within the same classification. Future vacancies for similar positions will be filled by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Job Code: 061
The incumbent instructs basic aquatic programs, supervises users, provides emergency care for minor and major first aid situations, provides support to pool administrative and maintenance staff, tests and maintains water quality, and assists with implementation of special events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Monitors pool users and enforces established standards of conduct and decorum, responds to major and minor emergency first aid situations, responds to enquiries from public and follows established safety and emergency procedures.
– Prepares and implements lesson plans and instructional material, prepares and distributes candidate progress reports, and prepares and submits statistical reports/records.Advises and directs the volunteers assigned to their programs.
– Performs light custodial maintenance and minor repairs to facility and equipment assisting in the inventory and stocking of custodial, first aid and program supplies.
– Maintains a clean and orderly workspace in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety Standards.
– Maintains a professional image to the public and ensures all public interactions are conducted in a professional way.
– Performs water tests.
– Collects cash from locker rentals and other coin operated machines.
– Performs basic computer skills required for program registration and entering swim lesson records, and assists with administrative duties such as cash handling and receptionist procedures.
– Participates in training sessions as part of the Aquatic Training Cycle, in accordance with certification requirements.
– Under the direction of the Aquatics Leadhand, assists in developing or implementing special programmed aquatic activities and aquatic special events.
– Acts as Aquatic Team Leader as assigned.
– This description contains the elements necessary for the identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Recreation & Sports
– Exposure to constant noise, extreme temperatures when in and out of the water, and humidity in the pool environment.
Knowledge and Skills:
– Completion of Grade 10
– Previous Experience- 2 months Lifeguard and/or Instructor experience AND the following Current Base Awards:
— NLS(National Lifeguard Service) Pool Option
— SEARS “l Can Swim” Teacher certification
— Standard First Aid /CPR Level C
— Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS)
— RCMP Vulnerable Sector Check
— LSI (Lifesaving Society Instructor) certification
— Aquatic Fitness Certification (CAI-A. BCRPA or equivalent
– On-the-Job Experience — 3 months
– Teaching and interpersonal skills, safety conscious
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
– First Aid equipment, office equipment, computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Class and ERP, audio-visual equipment, basic maintenance tools and water test kits.
– Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City’s online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/our-
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.