Home Job Board Director, Sports, Development, Wellness & Culture
|City of Grande Prairie||
Posted Date: April 13, 2023
Closing Date: April 28, 2023
|Contact||The City of Grande Prairie|
Reporting to the Recreation and Culture Executive Director, the Director of Sports Development, Wellness & Culture is responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction to ensure that programs and services are delivered within designated budgets and align with Council’s Strategic Plan.
This role is responsible for leading and promoting the work of the department as it relates to cultural heritage, programming, events, community recreation, sport & culture tourism/sport hosting strategies, as well as services and strategies related to community development and grant funding. This work is pursued within the context of the City’s Recreation & Culture Strategy and in alignment with corporate strategies, plans and priorities.
The Director leads the development and implementation of business planning, work planning, staff development, and change management and establishes policies and procedures to ensure the needs of residents are met with a positive outcome for the organization. The Director is required to promote and maintain positive working relationships with internal stakeholders, related community organizations, regional municipal, and provincial partners, as well as local educational institutions.
The successful candidate is a proven leader with strong financial, business, and political acumen. The Director has overall responsibility for the management, performance, and operation of recreation and heritage facilities, programs, and services within the area of responsibility.
Reporting Directly to the Chief Public & Protective Services officer this position is responsible for providing assistance and leadership for initiatives which support citizens of all ages and multiple groups across the community. This position establishes and maintains partnerships with and between municipalities, community groups and other government departments and agencies to further integrate the practices and principles of community development. Additionally, this position is responsible and accountable for the development and coordination of community services construction and service projects that are designed to enhance the quality of life of Grande Prairie residents.
• Provides leadership and direction in developing and implementing strategies, plans and policies related to the efficient and effective operation of recreation and culture facilities within the department.
• Administer Human Resources activities such as recruitment, performance management, and staff development in accordance with internal policies, practices, and employment law.
• Provides leadership for the fiscal services of the department, including business planning, operating and capital budgets, as well as performance measures.
• Oversee the Health and Safety program for the department and support a safety culture.
• Prepare reports and deliver presentations to Committee or Council and provide advice regarding projects and opportunities impacting the department, as appropriate.
• Develop staff, and support their participation in learning and development and continuous improvement initiatives including staff work plans.
• Work within bylaws, policies and procedures and follow all applicable legislation to the position.
• Assess and evaluate the performance of recreation and culture programs, services, operations, and facilities to align with best practices and emerging trends.
• A post-secondary degree in sport, recreation or arts management/administration, business or public administration, or related discipline.
• A minimum of five (5) + years of progressive leadership experience in a related field; municipal government or public sector experience is considered an asset.
• A local government certificate is desirable.
• Demonstrate financial management skills including resource allocation and fiscal responsibility.
• Comfort with making leadership decisions coupled with a strategic mindset to enable efficient and effective service delivery.
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, including well-developed presentation skills
• Sound judgment and decision-making skills with a track record of innovation and results-oriented leadership.
• Understanding of municipal, provincial, and federal legislation including the Municipal Government Act.
• This position requires the successful candidate to have a valid driver’s license as travel between facilities is required.
Routinely Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week with flexibility for after-hours and weekend work as required.
A highly competitive compensation package will be provided, including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. We will email those who did not make it to the interview stage within 60 days of the closing date of this job posting.
1. Submit a cover letter and resume using the “Apply Now” tab on the following link: City of Grande Prairie – Job Description (startdate.ca)
2. Applications will be reviewed, and short-listed and interviews will be scheduled.
Note: Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is NO further need to contact us regarding this position.
• This posting will be open until a suitable candidate(s) is/are found.
Due to the high number of applications we receive per job posting, we cannot answer job-specific questions before the interview. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.
At the City of Grande Prairie, we recognize and value that people have lives outside of work. We offer flexibility with scheduling, have higher than minimum vacation entitlements and comprehensive benefits that not only cover you when you’re sick but encourage you to be well. We have wellness events, social activities, community fundraising activities and a supportive work environment where you can grow your career.
The City of Grande Prairie is proud to be an Employer of Choice!
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.