Home Job Board Supervisor, Ice Facilities
Posted Date: November 21, 2023
Closing Date: December 19, 2023
|Contact||Krista Sacrey, Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo|
The Ice Facilities Supervisor is a key role within the Sport & Recreation Team. This role plays a key part in the experience of multiple user groups within the region of all ages. The Ice Supervisor’s responsibilities include planning, implementing, and supervising all maintenance activities of ice surfaces within the Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo (RRC) and is responsible for maintaining the ice surface, including laying and removing it. The position is responsible for the comprehensive management, direction, and operations of all assigned ice surfaces including dashboards, dressing rooms, and multiple ice surfaces, dealing with both staff and guests/users on a regular basis. Along with regular maintenance & supervision, the Ice Facilities Supervisor is responsible for continuing to provide Excellent Service and Innovative Experiences, & creating Meaningful Connections across the region.
• Assist in monitoring the designated arenas under the operational budget and prepare a priority list of minor capital repair and maintenance priorities.
• Supervises installation, maintenance, and breakdown of all ice surfaces including Arena and Curling ice.
• Oversee basic maintenance of the arena facility including all areas used by public and secure areas. This includes painting, minor repairs, preventative maintenance, etc.
• Plan, coordinate, and evaluate annual preventive maintenance schedules for ice facilities and required equipment.
• Develop policies and procedures to ensure uniform, safe, and industry-accepted standards for ice maintenance performance.
• Oversees inventories and requisitions of all necessary supplies and equipment for arena operations.
• Supervises Cleaning and maintains seating areas, dressing rooms, and auxiliary areas.
• Ensure that arena staff is provided with the necessary materials, supplies, equipment, and training required to carry out assigned maintenance and non-maintenance tasks.
• Administrative tasks include the facilitation of scheduling, payroll, reports, and forecasts for budgeting purposes.
• Select, train, motivate, and evaluate assigned staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies. Assign tasks, and projects and monitor assigned staff.
• Monitors service and staff performance in relation to the established standards, policies, and procedures.
• Shall ensure all recreation ice facilities meet the expectations of the community and those renting facilities. Supporting Reservations in collecting feedback from users on service delivery.
• Oversees routine or minor maintenance on the Zamboni machine, and other equipment or facilities.
• Monitors arena refrigeration.
• Participate in the development and implementation of new policies and procedures.
• Provide support functions with other Sport & Recreation Operations and maintenance as required.
• Assist in the preparation of events and programs including setting up and taking down of tables, chairs, nets etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education & Experience
• High School Diploma or GED Equivalency.
• Arena Operator I and II certification.
• WHMIS certification.
• Building Maintenance Level 1 & 2 certification is an asset.
• Curling Operations I and II certification is an asset.
• Current Intermediate First Aid/CPR/AED Certification or equivalent (including CPR C) is an asset.
• Minimum five (5) years related work experience in arena operations of a multi ice surface facility.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrable knowledge of methods, and materials, used in ice making and maintenance.
• Demonstrable knowledge of operating, maintaining, and performing minor repairs of equipment including ice making and maintenance, refrigeration, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, lighting, electrical and plumbing equipment.
• Time management skills with an ability to work in an environment with changing priorities.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
• Must possess basic computer skills and proficiency in MS Office Suite as well as related facility operations software.
• Excellent personal motivation with a proven ability to build and work collaboratively in a strong team-concept environment, and independently.
• Ability to establish, maintain, and foster effective working relationships with internal and external contacts, and to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
This position may require travel between our various facilities within the Wood Buffalo Region. Access to reliable transportation is necessary.
Valid Class 5 Driver’s License Required
Criminal Record Check
• The employee is required to walk, sit and talk or hear, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• The employee is occasionally required to use hands to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• Must be able to work on slippery surfaces frequently, and walk long distances on even and uneven surfaces continuously.
• This position involves working under variable temperature conditions and noise levels, in indoor and outdoor settings.
• This position may include heavy lifting of supplies and equipment up to 50 lbs.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
• This position requires full-time work and a flexible schedule including statutory holidays, early morning, late night, and weekend work.
All employees are responsible and accountable for Regional Recreation Corporation’s health and safety policy. All employees at every level should be familiar with the requirements of the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety legislation as it relates to their work processes.
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies. These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this job.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.