Home Job Board Parks & Open Spaces Operator
|Town of Cochrane||
Posted Date: July 4, 2023
Closing Date: July 9, 2023
|Contact||Town of Cochrane|
The Town of Cochrane is located in the breathtaking Bow Valley corridor in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta. With a population of over 30,000 people, and growing steadily every year, Cochrane is a thriving town, surrounded by world-famous ranch country. Our western heritage is reflected in the Town’s architecture and our friendly people. The Town of Cochrane welcomes innovative and skilled individuals to join our team of over 250 employees.
Cochrane is excited to recruit for the position of Parks and Open Spaces Operator. Do you have experience working within a municipal park’s environment, a golf course, or within a landscaping environment; and experience operating and maintaining equipment? We are looking for talented individuals to join our team!
Our Parks and Open Spaces team proudly maintains over 500 hectares of land as parks and open spaces. Residents and visitors enjoy nearly four dozen parks (many with playgrounds), summer fishing in trout ponds, outdoor skating in winter, and over 80 kilometers of pathways all year round. Parks and Open Spaces also maintains three cemeteries, many sports fields and dog off-leash areas.
We are looking for an operator with a minimum 3-years’ experience in a parks or landscaping environment. The successful candidate has at least one of these certificates: Degree or diploma in Horticulture, Turfgrass Management Diploma, ISA Arborist Certification, Landscape Horticulturist Apprenticeship.
You will be joining a team of hard-working and dedicated individuals with varied work styles and skills who look forward to collaborating with you! You will work together to maintain our parks and open spaces, and positive relationships with stakeholders while balancing competing priorities of customer service, environmental stewardship, fiscal responsibility and service delivery.
If you want to make a difference in our community, we welcome your application for the Parks and Open Spaces Operator.
Why should you consider working for us?
Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
As an organization, Cochrane has a focus on investing in people. This is not a boring municipality. We are growing into an organization with a focus on transparency, critical thinking, curiosity, reflection and innovation. We support experimentation as part of the growth process and strive for continuous improvement. We are municipal employees, and we are accountable to all the residents of Cochrane. Want to be a part of this exciting time?
As a Parks and Open Spaces Operator you will:
• Perform the day-to-day maintenance and operations as per standards and best practices of, parks and open spaces, urban forest, in-ground and potted horticultural displays, outdoor rinks, cemeteries, sports fields, playgrounds, pathways, irrigation systems, historical resource site, downtown streetscapes, skateboard park and river and stream riparian areas.
• Specific duties include, but not limited to, spring and fall clean up, garbage collection, mowing, line trimming, weeding, flower/perennial planting, litter picking, burial/cremation plot preparation, tree/shrub pruning, sports field marking, fertilizing, overseeding, infrastructure repairs, snow clearing, ice control, irrigation diagnosis and repairs.
• Perform construction and maintenance tasks; operates chainsaws and brush cutter, plants, prunes, and removes small trees as per ISA standards and best practices.
• Perform construction and maintenance tasks pertaining to sport field operations, including ball diamonds, soccer/rugby pitches and court sports. Ensure that scheduled users have access to sports fields; locks and unlocks parks, answers questions from the public and sports players regarding sports field usage and park regulations.
• Provide guidance for day-to-day operations of seasonal staff and contractor services.
• Respond and investigate inquiries and participate in resolving operational concerns.
• Perform weekly, monthly, and annual parks and playground inspections and audits for the purpose of safety, operational efficiencies, data collection, life cycling and inventory control.
• Be fiscally responsible for day-to-day expenses incurred in the operation and maintenance of Cochrane Parks and Open Spaces.
• Maintain equipment and hand tools utilized in daily tasks.
• Participate in the on-call rotation and provides emergency assistance when required.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• One or more of these certificates: Degree or diploma in Horticulture, Turfgrass Management Diploma, ISA Arborist Certification, Landscape Horticulturist Apprenticeship
• 3 – 5 years of experience in a park’s environment and Horticultural/Arborist/
• Experience operating and maintaining equipment
• Mechanical aptitude and basic problem-solving skills
• Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License
• Clean Criminal Record, including vulnerable sector security clearance
• Physically able to perform required duties
• Ability to direct and lead others
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in performing routine maintenance, landscaping, and construction tasks
• Municipal experience
• Class 3 with Q endorsement
• A pesticide applicators certificate or other Green Industry designations
• Standard First Aid and CPR/AED
• Safe Trenching, Excavation and Ground Disturbance
• Cargo Securement
• Fall Protection Comprehensive
• Alberta Temporary Traffic Control
• Flag Person
We are committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all of its employees. You must take reasonable care to protect your health and safety and that of others present at worksites, perform work safely, follow all relevant health and safety legislation, directives and procedures and attend all identified orientations and training.
Still interested? Here’s how to apply:
• Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills and abilities for this position
• All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey
• Applications for this position will be accepted at www.cochrane.ca/jobs until or until a suitable candidate is selected
• Teamsters Local Union 987 – wage grid level 5
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada.
In the spirit of reconciliation, we acknowledge that we live, work and play on the traditional territories of the Blackfoot Confederacy (Siksika, Kainai, Piikani), the Tsuut’ina, the Îyâxe Nakoda Nations, the Métis Nation (Region 3), and all people who make their homes in the Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta.
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.