Home Job Board Manager of Recreation
|City of Wetaskiwin||
Posted Date: October 18, 2023
Closing Date: October 26, 2023
|Contact||City of Wetaskiwin|
The City of Wetaskiwin Welcome to the home of possibility! Do you want to be a part of a different kind of local government? We are a diverse, and eager team that knows it can be done better and we are doing it! Wetaskiwin is a collaborative and inclusive place where we share ideas for making things better; and turn these ideas into actionable plans. Our values are Trust, Resourcefulness, and Integrity. Here we cultivate well-being through our team’s dedication to building positive, trusting, and fulfilling relationships! Piqued your interest, read on!
The Opportunity The City of Wetaskiwin has an exciting opportunity to join our fabulous team as the Manager of Recreation, and we are looking for someone who is passionate about recreational health and community well-being! If you are a strong leader, have excellent interpersonal skills, and want to take the next step in your career with a leadership position in Recreation, this could be the position for you. Reporting to the General Manager of Community and Protective Services, the Manager of Recreation will oversee the planning, development, marketing, implementation, and evaluation of a range of recreation services and programming, as well as the operation of aquatic, fitness, and recreation programming facilities. Our goal is to ensure a positive and enjoyable customer experience for participants in our programs and users of our facilities. Piqued your interest, read on!
• Oversee the delivery of high-quality recreational programs and activities that promote physical fitness, social interaction, and overall well being of the community that align with the needs, and with corporate and council strategic plans.
• Collect, analyze and report KPI’s and statistics to identify opportunities, challenges, and solutions, with the ability to convey results and complex statistical information to optimize recreational programming, services, and operations.
• Develop and monitor operational and capital budgets for the recreation department; advise senior management with regards to longer-term budget requirements for recreation facilities, planning and services.
• Oversee and lead recruitment, hiring, onboarding, training and development, performance management and retention of employees.
• Promote and ensure a high standard of customer service. Respond and address customer concerns, service delivery opportunities, and ensure quality assurance.
• Develop fees and charges for recreation programs and services in accordance with the fees and charges bylaw, community needs, and financial sustainability goals.
• Stay informed on industry best practices to effectively manage Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) in the recreational setting.
• Implement, actively participate, and enforce OH&S policies, procedures, processes, and standards to ensure a safe environment for public and employees; conduct regular risk assessments to mitigate risks and ensure a safe environment.
• Lead and participate in a variety of corporate projects, committees and/or initiatives to enhance recreation programs and services.
• Act as a City liaison on Council approved boards and committees.
• Develop preventative maintenance plans, and work with facilities to develop and align long-range facility and equipment strategies.
•Other duties as required.
Education, Qualifications, and Work Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Recreation or related discipline.
• Minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience in recreation administration and facility management. Considered an asset if candidates have previous experience working in a public recreation facility setting.
• Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience.
• Experience working in Municipal Government is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Experience with developing and monitoring operational and capital budgets.
• Sound knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) regulations and risk management.
• Excellent leadership, teambuilding, consensus, and conflict resolution skills.
• Effective time management, strategic planning skills, project management, and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently in a fast-paced environment.
• Independent decision making, problem solving and analytical skills.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), negotiation and influencing skills.
• Ability to present complex issues effectively at all levels in the organization.
• Sound knowledge of recreation service delivery, with experience managing community recreation and programming services for all ages.
• Knowledge of financial principles, including operational and capital budgeting.
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office applications.
What We Offer
• Benefits (Include Health, Dental, EFAP, Vision and Life Insurance).
• Pension through Local Authority Pension Plan (LAPP).
• Earned Day Off Program.
• 2 Personal Days per Year with Additional Anniversary Day Off.
• Discounted membership to Manluk Regional Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
Application deadline: October 26, 2023
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter in one document to email@example.com
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
The personal information submitted pursuant to this advertisement will be utilized for this employment opportunity only and is subject to compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Applicants are thanked in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.