Home Job Board Manager, Marketing & Communications
|Town of Cochrane||
Posted Date: March 6, 2023
Closing Date: March 27, 2023
Spray Lake Sawmills Centre (SLS Centre) is a leading-edge sport and recreational facility encompassing 325,000 square feet, including an aquatic centre, four arenas and a curling centre, fitness & climbing facilities, an indoor turf, track, and gymnasium, and is home to several third-party tenants. SLS Centre is a not-for-profit organization and a registered charity, governed by a volunteer board of directors. With a team of over 170, we offer a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that promotes excellence in teamwork, community building, and an innovative customer-focus. SLS Centre is located in Cochrane, Alberta.
About the Position
SLS Centre is seeking an innovative leader to promote the company’s brand and services. The Manager, Marketing and Communications is a strategic thinker, seasoned in analytics, and is able to turn creative ideas into effective marketing projects and campaigns. In this role, the Manager, Marketing and Communications will optimize SLS Centre’s marketing strategies, manage department budgets, lead and manage PR and media, and oversee graphics, signage, social media and sponsor partnerships.
This role requires extensive knowledge of marketing strategies and the ability to identify new audiences for increased brand awareness. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, with a positive attitude, ability to inspire others, exceptional organizational and creative thinking skills, and a passion for wellness, recreation, sport, and play!
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent (salary with benefits), 40 hrs/week – on-site position
• Accountable for developing business strategies and business plans with a 1-3 year scope that support the organizational vision, in active collaboration within senior management. Active contribution to the senior management meetings and annual strategic planning.
• Lead and mentor Marketing & Sales team members and provide strategic direction to support their objectives. Ensure team activities are aligned with business and strategic goals of SLS Centre.
• Active involvement in internal committees focused on memberships, experience, building appearance, and public engagement and feedback initiatives (i.e., satisfaction surveys, public focus groups, etc).
• Support Operations, HR and other internal (staff-focused) initiatives that are related to brand.
• Present to SLSRPS board and senior leadership as required, anticipating audience needs and communicating at a level appropriate for the audience.
• Regular reporting accountabilities (monthly & annually), for the CEO and other stakeholders, including Marketing & Communications projects, trends, risks, analytics, KPI’s, and benchmarking.
• Accountable for appropriate development, management, and reporting of the department budget(s). Anticipates changes that necessitate adjusting forecasts and allocation of funds.
• Model high performance, flexibility and kindness in a rapidly changing growth environment.
Marketing & Communications:
• Accountable for the development and execution of SLS Centre’s annual strategic marketing plans.
• Work with media, coordinate all media opportunities, build PR relationships, and track all media reach.
• Broaden social networking campaigns and activities to benefit SLS Centre and drive digital engagement with new audiences, increasing brand awareness and market share.
• Develop and produce high quality branded materials for the website, e-blasts, social media, and related digital and print marketing materials, and signage that supports simple, engaging and memorable visitor experience.
• Coordinate marketing strategies with the Experience department and other stakeholders.
• Ensure the integrity of SLS Centre’s identity, brand and narrative by developing and implementing brand standards and ensuring all marketing pieces maintain consistencies in messaging, voice, style, etc.
• Manage SLS Centre’s social media accounts and monitor all associated analytics. Cross-train staff on social media and monitor all social media activity ensuring that items are replied to and actioned in an immediate timeframe. Develop and implement strategies to resolve trending concerns or FAQ’s from the public with responsive, timely, and targeted communication practices, in alignment with Experience & Guest Services.
• Analyze and stay current on current market trends, including but not limited to social media – ensuring that SLS Centre’s social media marketing efforts stay relevant as trends evolve.
Corporate Advertising Sales & Sponsorships:
• Set annual corporate advertising sales targets, provide input to creative solutions to maximize revenue margins while controlling costs, and ensure a quality experience and high-return services for clients.
• Provide high-level support to the Sales Coordinator to promote sales opportunities.
• Develop, cultivate, and solicit major sponsorship strategies to maximize fundraising success.
• Match short- and long-term programming plans with sponsorship opportunities.
Required Qualifications & Competencies:
• University degree is required, ideally with a Marketing & Communications focus.
• A minimum 5-7 years of direct experience in marketing & communications roles which include leadership, project management, and planning/delivering on MarComm strategies.
• Demonstrated skills with all social media, graphic design packages (Adobe Creative Suite), website content management along with Microsoft 365 Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Teams).
• Knowledge and experience in print, digital and social media.
• Strong leadership, strategic thinking, partnering and presentation skills.
• Well-developed and diplomatic interpersonal skills and proven ability to foster relationships with customers, outside vendors/contractors and a highly collaborative approach with various levels of staff.
• Extremely organized, detail-oriented, and creative with a proven aptitude for quick thinking and ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines simultaneously.
• Proven ability to enhance performance through positive leadership behavior including, effective delegation, goal setting, coaching, empowerment, and recognition.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication and listening skills.
• Familiarity with the local “Cochrane & Area” market is a significant asset to this role.
• Experience with sales & sponsorships is an asset.
• Work experience in a sport and recreation environment is considered an asset.
• A personal passion for recreation, health, fitness and community!
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
How to Apply
Apply online at https://www.slsfamilysportscentre.com/get-involved
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.