Home Job Board HR Advisor, Learning & Development
|Town of Cochrane||
Posted Date: November 15, 2023
Closing Date: December 15, 2023
Spray Lake Sawmills Centre (SLSC) is a leading-edge sport and recreational facility encompassing 325,000 square feet, including an aquatic centre, four arenas and a curling centre, fitness & climbing facilities, an indoor turf, track, and gymnasium, and is home to several third-party tenants. SLSC is a not-for-profit organization and a registered charity, governed by a volunteer board of directors. With a team of over 180, we offer a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that promotes excellence in teamwork, community building, and an innovative customer-focus. SLSC is located in Cochrane, Alberta.
About the Position
The HR Advisor (Learning & Development) is responsible for developing and executing employee development initiatives (including new hire training and ongoing learning & developing across the organization), coordinating and facilitating training, meetings, and employee events, advising leaders on employee culture and engagement issues, and other HR generalist duties (such as recruitment). This position worked closely with the HR Advisor (Payroll & Benefits) under the direction of the HR Manager.
Job type: Full-time permanent (salary with benefits); 40 hours/week; a flexible schedule is an asset
Start Date: Early January 2024
• Training, Learning, and Development: Ensure a cohesive environment for employee development, from new hire training to ongoing org-wide or dept-specific training. Continuously working to enhance the quality of in-house training programs, adjust tactics and mechanisms for ease-of-use and efficiency, and ensuring consistency across the organization. Manage training records and work closely with Dept Leaders to enforce training programs and requirements. Support the Health & Safety Department with employee training initiatives.
• Recruitment: Receive and coordinate front-line recruitment efforts, working within the HR team to determine capacity and execute on hiring needs; following recruitment processes and collaborating with hiring supervisors with an effort to ensure SLSC culture, values, and norms are always at the forefront of the hiring process.
• Own the employee onboarding process from a culture and learning perspective: Develop and implement enhancements to the process, including an HR touchpoint on Day 1 for all new hires, and enhanced learning modules for org-wide topics (including HR, HS, and dept-specific, where relevant). Collaborate and coordinate with Dept Leaders to ensure a consistent, welcoming, useful and effective onboarding process for all new hires, aligned with SLSC’s mission, vision, values, and goals. Collaborate and coordinate with the HR Advisor (Payroll & Benefits) to create a cohesive process which includes logistics and administration associated with hiring.
• Consult with employees and leaders to provide information and advice on a variety of HR issues such as: performance management, culture and engagement issues, training/knowledge development, and general HR inquiries.
• Monitor employee turnover and departures, conduct exit interviews where required, and work to identify and propose solutions for potential employee issues contributing to turnover trends.
• Support, lead, and facilitate employee engagement initiatives and events such as Town Hall meetings, Service Awards, Calgary Corporate Challenge, employee engagement feedback meetings, and support for the Social Committee.
• Contribute to org-wide communication efforts through Town Halls, intranet, and newsletter mechanisms.
• Execute and oversee the SLSC Volunteer Program.
• Remain current on Alberta and Canadian employment standards and legislation.
• Recommend changes to, or introduction of policies, procedures or programs to Human Resources Manager.
• Assist with the research, planning and execution of various HR initiatives.
• Develop HR data and analytics for employee training and engagement.
• Act as a back-up for Payroll Administration and payroll processing (vacation coverage as required).
• Updating HR related materials such as training documents, job descriptions, performance management templates, communication mechanisms (such as the intranet).
• Work discreetly, maintain confidences, and build trust
• You are a high-energy individual who thrives in a dynamic environment.
• Diploma/certification in HR and/or an equivalent combination of related education & experience.
• At least two years of people leadership and employee training experience.
• Demonstrated group presentation experience and engaging facilitation skills.
• Attention to detail, ability to prioritize multiple tasks and dependability are required.
• An appreciation of fun in the workplace and a sense of humour are essential.
o Proficient with Microsoft products (Word, Excel & Outlook)
o Ability to quickly learn HRIS and other people management systems
o Experience developing high-quality training programs (i.e., animated videos, in-person training supported by digital resources) is considered a significant asset.
• Strong communication skills (verbal & written) that allow you to adapt to different situations and staff.
• Ability and initiative to solve problems in a creative manner while also focused on the bigger picture
• Taking personal responsibility for delivering on commitments.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, diplomacy, tact, and professionalism.
• Proven track record in working independently & in a team environment is an asset.
Please apply online at https://www.slscentre.com/
Applications will be accepted online until a suitable candidate is found.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.