Home Job Board CKC Manager – Recreation & Sport
|City of Grande Prairie
Posted Date: January 23, 2024
Closing Date: February 2, 2024
|City of Grande Prairie
Home to endless skies and boundless opportunities, Grande Prairie is in the heart of the Peace Region in Northwestern Alberta. The largest urban centre north of Alberta’s capital, Grande Prairie is a thriving young city of over 69,000 with a median age of 34. Whether it’s parents pushing a stroller, children filling the Eastlink Centre, or families biking on one of the many trails, there are signs of youth everywhere you turn. Grande Prairie’s youthfulness arises from the exciting opportunities that enabled population growth of over 73% between 2001 and 2021. More than 80 different cultural and ethnic groups contribute to the community which not only serves as a hub for the surrounding area but also as the heart of a thriving regional population of almost 300,000 people.
Attracting businesses, jobs, and people is enabled by a well-balanced blend of agricultural industry, strategic location, and diverse wealth of natural resources including oil, natural gas, coal, and lumber. This diversity provides a great opportunity for careers across a variety of industries. In addition, Alberta’s newest Polytechnic institution (Northwestern Polytechnic) serves as the capstone for an outstanding local educational system that facilitates personal and career growth across a full range of opportunities.
The community offers an intriguing mix of mid-size city community and big city amenities that is often referred to as “urban without urban grind”. There is endless possibility for residents to get involved and connected! For sport and recreation fans, there is a wide variety of parks and trails to explore across the city, as well as several state-of-the-art recreational facilities. An exciting and engaged arts and culture community is also very active in venues such as the Montrose Cultural Centre, the Centre for Creative Arts and the Grande Prairie Live Theatre and supported by a multitude of cultural and neighbourhood associations.
With something for everyone, Grande Prairie is the perfect place to thrive!
The City of Grande Prairie is located in the Northwestern part of Alberta, in the heart of the Peace Region. It is the largest city north of Edmonton, and its strategic location as a regional centre has contributed to its rapid growth. Grande Prairie is one of the youngest and fastest growing cities in Canada. With a spirit for innovation and entrepreneurship, Grande Prairie is a great place to live and build a career.
The Community Knowledge Campus (CKC) is comprised of municipally operated facilities that include: twin ice arenas, synthetic field and grandstand, multiplex recreation centre and a seasonal outdoor skating oval. The facilities are connected to two local high schools and Grande Prairie’s gymnastics facility. The Community Knowledge Campus serves as a year-round hub for social connection, wellness, sport and fitness activity. Additionally the CKC team manages and operates the seasonal outdoor swimming pool at a satellite location in the heart of Muskoseepi Park as well as an additional community centre which includes a single ice surface and tenant spaces.
As one of Grande Prairie’ s pride and joy, the world class 450,000 sq. ft. multiplex recreation centre, Eastlink Centre, was built in 2011 and features, indoor walk/run track, fitness centre, squash & racquetball courts, fieldhouse, 54m Olympic size pool, 25m pool, leisure aquatic amenities that include a splash pad, wading pool, lazy river hot tubs, hot rooms and flow rider surf simulating machine.
Reporting to the Community Knowledge Campus Director, the CKC Manager – Recreation & Sport has the overall responsibility to lead a high performing team of staff who are responsible for delivery of recreational programs and services that include: aquatics, fitness & wellness, campus events & logistics. Manages the collaborative relationship with several recreational user groups to align with operations, programming and services delivery in accordance with industry standards and in compliance with City of Grande Prairie policies, approved budgets and best practices.
We are looking for an innovative experienced leader committed to leading a high performing team of supervisors and frontline employees. Experience in attracting, developing and retaining high quality team members, implementation of industry best practices and oversight of recreational programs, services and operations.
As a collaborative leader, you will foster positive relationships with multiple internal and external community stakeholders to achieve the Campus goals, namely to: deliver programming services that increase and sustain membership;
– Manages the recruitment, training, development, motivation, performance evaluation & termination of supervisory recreation staff.
– Ensures that programs, services and staff align with and meet all applicable health and safety legislation, City employment policies and procedures, governing bodies standards of service delivery and compliance.
– Leads high performing teams in revenue generation and membership retention.
– Mentors, coaches and inspires supervisory staff to lead teams in creative, solution focused environments while prioritizing fiscal responsibility.
– Overall service delivery to members, guests, user groups, rental and special event clients and all other internal and external business partners and stakeholders.
Service Delivery Management:
– Responsible for service areas including aquatics, fitness & wellness, special events.
– Overall oversight of successful development and delivery of complimentary programming and services at CKC.
– Successful development, monitoring, evaluating, and adjusting service standards, area processes according to industry best practices while balancing the needs of internal and external customers.
CKC Leadership Team Member:
– Provides consultation, facilitation and training expertise specific to aquatic program delivery at CKC .
– Participate in business and budget planning as part of the CKC Leadership Team.
– Work with other City departments supporting positive relationships for collaboration and corporate service delivery.
As the successful candidate, you will have the following qualifications:
– Minimum of 3 years of progressive leadership experience in a multiplex, sporting, recreation, or event facility.
– Bachelors degree in Recreation Management, Sports Administration, Leisure Services or a related discipline. A combination of other education, professional credentials and tangible experience to meet the requirements of the position may be considered.
– Proven experience in a management role within a similar recreational environment, with a focus on fiscal responsibility and accountability.
– Proven experience in stakeholder engagement, user group collaboration and support for sport development via boards or committee leadership.
– Proven understanding of and support for initiatives aimed at enhancing the health, wellness and enjoyment of the community.
– Proven change management experience in leadership and supervision.
– Proven experience working with staff who are part of a unionized environment.
– Proven experience and working knowledge in service delivery of aquatic safety standards and regulations.
The standard workweek consists of an average of 40 hours, with the specific schedule being determined by the immediate supervisor.
Current wages range from $49.33 – $63.75 (rate of pay currently under review).
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.