Home Job Board Building Operations Supervisor
|Town of Cochrane||
Posted Date: September 14, 2023
Closing Date: September 29, 2023
|Contact||Town of Cochrane|
Spray Lake Sawmills Centre (SLSC) is a leading-edge sport and recreational facility encompassing 325,000 square feet, including an aquatic centre, four arenas and a curling centre, fitness & climbing facilities, an indoor turf, track, and gymnasium, and is home to several third-party tenants. SLSC is a not-for-profit organization and a registered charity, governed by a volunteer board of directors. With a team of over 170, we offer a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that promotes excellence in teamwork, community building, and an innovative customer-focus. SLSC is located in Cochrane, Alberta.
About the Position
The Building Operations Supervisor position is responsible for building operations of the facilities at SLSC and Cochrane Arena, working under the direction of the Facilities Manager. This role is responsible for leading and overseeing all Building Operators and Maintenance Technicians, working closely with all SLSC leaders to diagnose and resolve building issues as they relate to aquatics, curling, fieldhouse, arenas, common and programming spaces, custodial, refrigeration plants, and grounds. The Building Operations Supervisor is accountable for ensuring safe and efficient mechanical and non-mechanical operations, budgeting, and resource allocation, managing day to day contractors and project-based requirements, executing on business plans and strategies, and always working towards excellence in internal & external customer experience.
This “working supervisor” is anticipated to have at least 60% (or more) of hands-on work, along with administrative work to accomplish on a regular basis. Admin requirements will fluctuate depending on projects ongoing. The ideal candidate will be a highly communicative, proactive, and collaborative leader, who is always working towards excellence in internal & external customer experience.
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent (Salary) – benefits eligible
Schedule: Flexible hours required to support business needs, contractor work, as well as peak hours and team support.
• Provide hands-on leadership and strategic direction for direct reports (Building Operators & Maintenance Technicians) in all day-to-day operations. Active supervision of team members, coaching and developing staff with a focus on skill development, effective org-wide collaboration and communication, and innovative thinking for the future of our facility operations.
• Collaborates with the Facilities Manager and direct reports to ensure a strategic and sustainable approach to business planning and budgeting, seeking cost and operational efficiencies.
• Provides training, coaching, leadership, and support to direct reports. Establishes, monitors, and manages job performance standards, expectations, and performance management, as well as hiring and training of new staff, in conjunction with Human Resources procedures.
• Supports the development, implementation, and monitoring of strategic and business plans and annual budget processes; accountable for achieving seasonal and annual goals.
• Provides diagnostic, technical, and hands-on support for complex building issues when required, mentoring Building Operations staff and pursuing externally contracted support when needed.
• Establishes work schedules for the team to achieve “full coverage” during all public operating hours (including early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays). Coordinate and facilitate response procedures for emergency issues which may occur at any time.
• Develop and implement procedures, regularly monitoring for effectiveness.
• Ensures regular facility inspections are being conducted and documented, and all building maintenance, installation, and repairs are being completed when required, ensuring the high quality of all internal and outsourced work.
• Coordinate and oversee contractor management – Ensuring best value, accountability for services rendered, charges are per terms and conditions, quality of work is as per agreement, etc.
• Support projects as required, in alignment with the Facilities Manager and project owner.
• Accountable for the implementation and guidelines of the Health & Safety Management System as it pertains to Operations staff, contractors, inspections, equipment, and site safety; working closely with the Health & Safety Dept.
• Accountable for actively driving facility-wide teamwork, communications, and collaboration, with the intention of building trust and effective cross-departmental relations, with a significant focus on service departments such as Aquatics and Programs.
• Accountable to ensure effective and consistent communication of Building Ops to & from other departments. This includes radio responsiveness, providing proactive information and timely updates to affected departments, and driving day-to-day org-wide communication with regards to operations issues and work orders.
• Provides emergency back-up to staff and facilities as required, including schedule coverage.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in administering a building maintenance management system, delivering concurrent maintenance/preventative maintenance programs, general facilities management services, and hands-on experience with diagnosing and working with building mechanicals (HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical, etc).
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in (or exposure to): budget management, vendor/contract management, and staff supervision.
• A relevant post-secondary Mechanical/Engineering credential is required (ie. Power Engineering, Engineering Technology, Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, etc)
• Other trades expertise is an asset – i.e. plumbing, HVAC, electrical, carpentry, etc.
• Experience in hiring, training, scheduling, managing performance, and coaching staff members, with a focus on supporting a diverse cross-functional organization which values integrity, respect, collaboration, and customer service excellence.
• Pool Operator Level 1-2 (can be provided by SLSC; required within 6 months of hire)
• Arena Operator Level 1-2 (can be provided by SLSC; required within 12 months of hire)
• Experience working in an environment with pools, hockey/skating arenas, and curling facilities (or another relevant industry such as attractions and public facilities) are considered a significant asset.
• Proven experience working collaboratively with H&S, HR, and other colleagues at a Management level.
• Comfort with administrative tasks requiring the use of computers & various software is required, such as: MS Office (Outlook, Excel, and Word), CMMS systems, Health & Safety systems, etc.
• Intermediate First Aid & CPR-C
• Criminal Record Check (to be completed upon hire)
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.