Home Job Board Arena Operator/Parks Operations Crew Leader (Spray Park)
Posted Date: February 2, 2023
Closing Date: February 8, 2023
|City of Airdrie
At the City of Airdrie, incredible opportunities happen every day in a flexible work environment that is tailored to each department. Our inclusive culture and values create a workplace where we welcome aspiring, driven and creative individuals to help us accomplish our business and community goals. We are supportive of one another, and we have fun while we serve our community. We are passionate about improving the lives of our residents through care and respect; that is the foundation of our organization. At the City of Airdrie, we learn, grow and accomplish great things together.
If you have a passion for building a better community and are ready to join the excitement, we’d love to hear from you!
This is a permanent full-time position that is split between the Arenas Department in the winter and the Parks Department in the summer. From October to March, the Arena Operator will perform day-to-day maintenance at the Ron Ebbesen Twin Arenas, Plainsmen Arena and Genesis Place Twin Arenas. From April to September, the Parks Operations Crew Leader (Spray Park) will operate and maintain the city spray park and oversee a crew of summer staff.
Primary accountabilities include:
• Supervise operational activities such as ensuring ice quality and directing user groups
• Perform regular ice making with an electric ice resurfacer and power edger
• Monitor ammonia plant, perform ice maintenance checks and ensure proper operations and safety
• Perform general security of the facilities and ensure the safety and orderly conduct of the public
• Perform day-to-day maintenance duties including cleaning glass partitions, washrooms, dressing rooms, officials’ rooms, player boxes, penalty boxes and public areas within the facility
Parks Operations Crew Leader (Spray Park):
• Act as a crew leader for the spray park zone
• Perform repairs, construction, general maintenance and troubleshooting of the spray park and help to establish preventative maintenance and inspection programs
• Perform daily safety checks on the spray park and ensure park is operating in compliance with standards and procedures
• Perform maintenance of outdoor open space of all parks, boulevards and other City property
• Perform general labourer duties in a horticulture/landscaping environment
• High School Diploma or GED
• AARFP Arena Operator certifications (Levels 1 and 2)
• Level 1 Swimming Pool Operators Certificate
• Level 2 Swimming Pool Operators Certificate would be an asset
• Playground Safety Inspection course would be an asset
• LHAP (Landscape Horticulturist Apprenticeship Program) certification or equivalent would be an asset
• Valid Class 5 driver’s licence
• Current Standard First Aid Level C CPR and AED
• Experience and knowledge in both arenas and parks operations
• Supervisory/leadership experience
• Strong organizational and scheduling skills
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Proven customer service skills
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision in a team environment
• Enthusiastic and self-motivated, with a willingness to learn
Along with a competitive compensation program and City paid health and dental premiums, this position also includes:
• Excellent health, dental, paramedical, and benefits plan
• First-in-class pension plan
• Career development and tuition reimbursement
• Employee discounts, annual adult Genesis Place pass, social events, and health & wellness initiatives
Continuous learning through training and development is encouraged as are flexible work arrangements, when possible. We recognize that our people work best when they feel engaged in their environment and appreciated for their efforts and our overall benefits package reflects that.
This dual role includes a comprehensive benefits and pension package. The work in both positions is physically demanding and may involve some heavy lifting, prolonged bending, and kneeling.
• This position will work varied shifts in a 40-hour work week that may include evenings and weekends.
• The wage range is $20.43/hr. to $29.97/hr. dependent on arena experience and qualifications.
Parks Operations Crew Leader (Spray Park):
• This position will work a compressed 40-hour work week, primarily from Friday to Monday, that will include holidays and weekends.
• Work is done primarily outside under all weather conditions.
• The wage range is $28.24/hr. to $35.30/hr. dependent on parks experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Candidates are invited to apply online at www.airdrie.ca.
The Alberta Recreation & Parks Association would like to acknowledge the First Nations, the Métis, and all of the people across Alberta who share a history and a deep connection with this land. We dedicate ourselves to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous communities in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.