Job: Supervisor - Preschool, Child and Youth - City of Red Deer YMCA
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is a registered charity operating in Edmonton since 1907, Wood Buffalo since 1975 and in Grande Prairie since 2007 and is excited to be extending our reach into Red Deer in July 2019. The YMCA’s Mission is to create life-enhancing opportunities for the growth and development of all people in spirit, mind and body. The YMCA is committed to the values of respect, honesty, caring, responsibility, diversity and social inclusion.
About the Northside Community Centre:
The Northside Community Centre (NCC) marks a new direction for The City of Red Deer. The NCC is not intended to be a typical multi-use regional recreation centre or a traditional activity centre but rather a ‘hybrid’ of these - a new format multi-quadrant community centre focused on community leisure, culture, recreation and gathering, serving the city-wide population while also serving the needs of those who live nearby.
The 23,000 sq. ft. facility, located on the corner of Taylor Drive and 77th Street, is currently under construction and is scheduled to be open in July 2019. For more information on the NCC visit: http://www.reddeer.ca/city-government/plans-and-projects/recreation-parks-and-culture-plans-and-projects/northside-community-centre-/ The programs that will be delivered at this facility are intended to be inclusive and welcoming to people of all diversities. Programming for Northside Community Centre will reflect the large number of families within the area and involve an emphasis of programming for children, youth and families, as well as opportunities for rental groups.
About this Job Role (Supervisor - Preschool, Child and Youth):
The Supervisor - Preschool, Child and Youth will provide effective leadership in directing the overall delivery of all non-aquatic and child and youth programs and services. This individual must be passionate about the development, support and leadership of others. This individual will be responsible for programs and services at our new Northside Community Centre that will open in July of 2019.
The Supervisor - Preschool, Child and Youth is accountable to the Centre Manager of YMCA Northside Community Centre. The Supervisor PCY also represents YMCA in all preschool, child and youth programs and services.
- Oversee and manage all preschool, child and youth programs and services with an emphasis on participant growth and maintenance of YMCA service standards including child minding, registered skill development programs, day camp and youth leadership.
- Recruit, hire, train, coach, supervise and manage all staff and volunteers within assigned program areas.
- Plan and implement Preschool, Child and Youth programming for various ages and developmental stages based on the needs and interests of the membership and the community.
- Develop, manage and monitor approved budgets for assigned program areas to ensure achievement of departmental financial targets.
- Ensure preschool, child and youth programs and services meet the Associations commitments to Child Protection, Physical Literacy Skill Development, Child and Youth Asset Development, YMCA International Education and integration of YMCA Organizational Values.
- University Degree in Recreation, Child Studies, Physical Education or Education, or related experience preferred. Diploma with relevant experience will be considered.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Child Welfare & Police Security Clearance, and WHMIS Certification.
- Class 5 drivers licence and means of transportation is required.
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) an asset.
- Recreation background is an asset.
- Organized sports background is an asset.
- 3 or more years experience leading children’s programming in a recreational, sport, arts and culture or camp setting.
- 1 or more years with previous supervisory experience and/or staff/volunteer leadership experience.
- Able to deal with difficult situations and customer complaints with confidence.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, Windows).
- Proficient in lesson planning/programming.
Applicants are requested to apply for this position directly through our website at http://northernalberta.ymca.ca/careers