Job: Senior Lifeguard / Instructor - Town of Devon Community Pool
This is a seasonal position with the Town of Devon for the months of May – August. This position provides maintenance for the entire aquatic area, performs first aid, teaches swimming lessons, carries out facility operations and safety, and provides lifeguarding and some lifeguard supervision. The senior instructor/lifeguard works under the direction of the pool managers and supervisors. This is a part-time position with a maximum of 40 hours per week. The successful candidate must be available for evenings and weekends and other shifts as required, including day shifts.
- Provide high quality customer service and pool supervision to all pool patrons.
- Instruct aquatic lessons for children, youth, and/or adults.
- Evaluate class participant performance.
- Maintain a welcoming, inclusive, hygienic and safe environment for customers and staff.
- Prepare lessons, evaluations, and progress cards.
- Respond to incidents that occur in the aquatic area or the facility.
- Ensure that the pool systems are operating safely and effectively.
- See to any maintenance issues that arise.
- Ensure proper opening and closing procedures are followed.
- Complete all maintenance and administrative duties as required.
- Actively participate in mandatory in-service training events.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Between the ages of 18 and 30 (as per the Canada Summer Jobs Program)
- Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification.
- NLS and AEC (or other first aid equivalent).
- All awards must be kept current according to certifying organizations' standards.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication and instructional skills.
- Ability to resolve conflict using diplomacy and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to continuously improving swimming lesson results and assisting co-workers and supervisors with tasks whenever needed.
- Lifesaving Society Instructor Award (LSI), Pool Operator 1, aquafit/aquasize instructor, and other aquatic awards would be considered an asset.
- Satisfactory Criminal Reference and Vulnerable Persons Check must be provided prior to starting.
- Individual must demonstrate that they are capable of working independently as well as with a group.
- Experience lifeguarding and teaching lessons at a pool.
- Current awards and certifications must be attached with application. Proof of current certifications/awards will be required before application can be considered or be furthered to the interview stage.
This is a part time position with a maximum of 40 hours per week and flexible hours at your supervisors’ discretion, ending by August 31, 2019. Most hours for May – August will be during the day but there will be evening and weekend shifts that are required throughout the summer months.
$ 19.55 /hr
March 15, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
To apply to this position, please go to http://www.devon.ca/Online-Services/Employment-Opportunities