Job: Program Manager - BGN Planning & Design - City of Edmonton
The Building Great Neighbourhoods Branch and the Neighbourhood Renewal Program is the building blocks of a great city, and invests in reconstructing neighbourhoods to enhance their livability and longevity.
The mandate of the Branch is to provide a fully integrated and holistic approach to planning, designing and delivery of roads, street lighting, open spaces, and any other neighbourhood amenities.
As a member of the Planning & Design team in the Building Great Neighbourhoods Branch, you will be responsible for the planning and design of transportation and parks projects through the development of concept and preliminary designs; including roads, alleys, transit and active transportation projects, as well as playgrounds, park improvements, and community-led open space projects.
This is a great opportunity to shape the face of Edmonton through involvement in projects ranging from mature neighbourhood reconstruction and rehabilitation to the construction of new development projects.
The Program Manager role in Building Great Neighbourhoods Planning and Design is your opportunity to apply your project management skill and leadership ability to an exciting program of mature residential neighbourhoods projects that directly enhance the lives of Edmontonians. You will provide leadership, guidance and oversight to a team of project managers and city programs, as well as manage the development of your own projects. Experience with neighbourhood-related issues and working collaboratively with community groups is an asset.
Program & Project Management
- Develop and implement unit processes and track performance measures to ensure successful delivery of projects
- Apply systems thinking to manage multiple ongoing and concurrent projects, leveraging existing resources and ensuring successful delivery of the project outcomes
- Exemplary adherence to the Project Management methodology, policies, processes and core requirements, guiding the expectations for Project Manager knowledge excellence
- Develop, leverage and maintain strategic relationships necessary to advance the goals and objectives of programs/projects, including those within IIS and with citizens, Council, business and industry partners
- Manage, monitor and report project milestones through detailed plans and schedules, ensuring the project is on budget, on schedule, and within the defined scope and quality
- Oversee and ensure risk management for all assigned projects and related activities
- Develop and steward relationships that support the success of projects
- Develop and implement robust public/stakeholder engagement processes and activities, working in collaboration with Communications and Engagement
- Manage the procurement and contract processes; direct and coordinate the work of consultants and contractors
- Mentor and coach staff in a manner that fosters a culture of growth, development and continuous improvement
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams consisting of consultants, contractors, business partners and stakeholders
- Lead, establish and exemplify an inspiring, constructive and supportive team culture
- Act as agent of change; foster an open environment of continuous input and feedback from staff
- Ensure project managers are empowered and have the competencies, tools, and equipment required for them to perform their roles
- Develop and implement staff performance development and management plans; manage staff issues, disciplinary actions and processes; and conduct recruitment and selection processes
- Translate strategy into operational processes, approaches, and competencies
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of project management processes and practices
- Oversee and ensure compliance with all applicable policies, directives, guidelines and processes; ensure all procedures are complete and required approvals of program/project deliverables are obtained
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Engineering, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Business, Planning or Project Management
- 8 years progressively responsible team and program/project management experience with a Degree
- 10 years progressively responsible team and program/project management experience with a Diploma
- Comprehensive understanding of planning and design related to architectural, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, and landscaping disciplines
- Strong program/ project management skills including an understanding of project management methods and techniques (PMBOK best practices)
- Demonstrated experience leading Project Managers and multi-disciplinary teams in the delivery of projects
- Strong contract management skills including selection process, claims management and performance evaluation
- Experience developing and implementing communications and public engagement plans
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills with experience in solving complex and sensitive issues
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including report writing and presenting
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop strong, strategic, relationships and deliver work in a collaborative, integrated manner
- Experience managing and working with external consultants
- Working knowledge of relevant codes, legislation, regulations, policies and procedures (OH&S, Environmental, Builders Lien Act, etc.)
- Applicants may be tested
- Coursework/training in project management (PMP); financial management; or other leadership training
- Experience with neighbourhood-related issues and working collaboratively with community groups
$84,597 - $120,852 Annually
October 21, 2018
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 1 permanent full time position
Classification Title: PT3 - Construction Services
Posting Date: Sep 26, 2018
Closing Date: Oct 10, 2018 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Department: Building Great Neighbourhoods
Work Location(s): Century Place, 8th Floor, 9803 - 102A Avenue Edmonton T5J 3A3
Visit www.edmonton.ca/careers for information on how to apply