Job: Director of Recreation - Town of Taber
Can you supervise a team of skilled employees? Would you make a commitment to excellence and innovation? Would you like to work in a municipality where you have a lot of ability to make a change and affect the future? Are you able to work on the broad range of topics necessary in a small town?
If the answer is yes, we may have a job for you. The position description is as follows:
Reporting to the Chief Administration Officer, the Director of Recreation is responsible for the development and execution of recreation initiatives in accordance with legislation and municipal policy. This position will promote local facilities to attract a wide client base, plan and coordinate special events and develop relationships/partnerships with community organizations. This position is responsible for the management, administration, quality control and supervision of all aspects of facility management and customer service.
- Supervise, lead and motivates the Recreation team to inspire dedication, performance and quality work to achieve organizational goals and operate within the Municipality policies and standards.
- Models good leadership practices, develops and mentors staff including regular performance reviews, recognition and feedback.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, contributes to the overall development and delivery of the municipality Strategic Plan, Goals and Vision.
- Liaises with Facility Management staff regarding research, quotes, operating and capital budgets and task management schedules.
- Ensures timely and accurate provision of payroll submissions/authorizations, training of staff and performance management. Liaises with Human Resources regarding recruitment requirements, HR policy, collective agreement, Disability Management Program, workplace issues and grievance response.
- Responsible for hiring and selection of departmental employees including screening, interviews, and performance reviews.
- Monitors community needs, industry trends and standards, as well as provincial developments offering new opportunities, services and efficiencies.
- Stays current with legislation/regulations that impact daily operations of recreation facilities and ensures staff training and education meets the required standards
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships and partnerships with community organizations
- Sets forth short and long term plans through the development of the Operating and Capital budget plan. Communicates, implements and monitors plans to ensure that financial resources are utilized effectively and efficiently
- Collaborates with the Director of Finance on policies and procedures for collecting revenue; implements and monitors to ensure adherence to sound accounting and payment processing practices
- Prepares reports and recommendations to Council regarding services, service levels, large item purchases, significant contracts, and partnerships.
- Prepares agendas for the Recreation Board, conducts meetings and oversees development of meeting minutes, follows up on requests and process recommendations to Council as required.
- Member of the Emergency Preparedness and Response Team in a role associated with preferred and professional strengths.
- Participate as a member of the Southern Alberta Recreation Association Board of Directors. This position works collaboratively with peers from 12 neighboring municipalities to share ideas and strategies for funding, best practices, volunteerism and community engagement.
- Oversee project management on capital projects including recreation software, facility upgrades and facility development.
- Strengthens and manages community relationships and partnerships. Attends community stakeholder meetings related to recreation, special events, programming and health and wellness. Assists community organizations with direction and recommendations involving board development, training opportunities, funding opportunities, and volunteer recruitment and training. Assist groups and organizations to ensure their events are successful by providing advice, resources and support to their activities/events where applicable.
- Working with the Communications Manager, develop community guides/publications and social media interfaces to maximize knowledge and promote department services and facilities
- Prepares applications for program funding/grants and partner with community organizations to enhance recreational opportunities in the community
- Responsible for the development of appropriate processes and procedures to protect our patrons, staff and assets.
- Directs growth of staff through development of job descriptions, positional training and providing opportunities for professional development.
Ensures that public health, environmental workplace health and safety policies, procedures, equipment, training, reporting and record keeping are maintained in compliance with regulatory and due diligence requirements.
Ideal candidate will have:
- Five years of management experience in a municipal Parks and Recreation environment
- Post-secondary education in the field of Recreation
- Standard First Aid/CPR/AED
- Intermediate Computer Skills
- Class 5 Drivers License
- Ability to provide a clean Police Information Check.
Chief Administrative Officer
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday–Friday 37.5 hrs/week, 8am-4:30pm
A competitive salary is available commensurate with qualifications and experience, including full benefits coverage, health & wellness spending account, and LAPP Pension.
November 19, 2018
Open until suitable candidate is found. First review of candidates will begin November 19, 2018. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Town of Taber
4900A – 50 St.
Taber, AB T1G 1T1