Job: Day Camp Leader - Town of Devon
The Day Camp Leader assists with organizing and implementing summer day camp programs that provide learning and recreational opportunities for children and early youth in Devon. This position provides a leadership role through implementing the day camps and working with program volunteers.
Responsibility 1: Implementation of day camps
- Ensure organization and readiness of camps on a daily basis
- Ensure children’s safety while at the programs
- Manage any behaviour issues that may come up with participants
- Interact with parents of participants and answer questions
- Take participants on field trips
Responsibility 2: Volunteer coordination
- Attend a Leaders in Training session to meet and establish a relationship with volunteers
- Evaluate volunteers throughout & at the end of the summer
- Plan a volunteer recognition for the end of the summer
Responsibility 3: Ensure safety procedures are established and followed
- Identify potential safety concerns during camp programs
- Implement safe work procedures
- Fill out proper forms when needed (i.e. incident forms)
- Ensure First Aid kit is stocked with appropriate and current items
Responsibility 4: Evaluation of programs
- Evaluate all summer programs identifying areas of success and areas for improvement
- Make recommendations for following year
Responsibility 5: Obtain career related experience
- Check in with supervisor once per week and discuss successes, areas for improvement, and identify areas of support
- Find opportunities to take a leadership role in the day camps with supervision from day camp coordinator
- Grade 12 Diploma & Enrollment in post-secondary education in an applicable degree program (ie. Recreation Administration, Physical Education, or Education)
- Experience working with children and children’s programming is considered an asset for this position.
- Demonstrated experience in program development, communication, and problem solving skills.
- Time management and priority settings skills
- Ability to take initiative for continuing and new projects related to summer camp programs.
- Ability to work well in an individual and team environment.
- Training in High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development and The Virtues Project will be seen as an asset
Hours for this position will vary between 7:30am – 5:30pm with the possibility of evening or weekend shifts. You will also be required to work on Canada Day from 11 am-4 pm to run a craft tent for the Canada Day event. For the month of June you will be working out of the town office doing training, skill development, and planning for the camps. July and August hours will be spent running the day camps.
June 17 -June 21: 35 hours per week
June 24- August 23: 40 hours per week
August 26 – August 29: 32 hours
March 1, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
To apply to this position, please go to http://www.devon.ca/Online-Services/Employment-Opportunities