Job: Day Camp Coordinator - Town of Devon
The Day Camp Leader assists with organizing and implementing summer day camp programs that provide learning and recreational opportunities for children and early youth in Devon. This position provides a leadership role through implementing the day camps and working with program volunteers.
Responsibility 1: Implementation of day camps
- Create a detailed plan for all day camps.
- Assist with processing registrations.
- Purchase and organize all supplies needed to run camps.
- Plan and book all field trips.
Responsibility 2: Volunteer coordination
- Plan & Implement Leaders in Training program to train and get to know youth volunteers.
- Evaluate volunteers throughout and at the end of the summer.
- Plan a volunteer recognition for the end of the summer.
Responsibility 3: Ensure safety procedures are established and followed
- Ensure organization and readiness of camps on a daily basis.
- Ensure children’s safety while attending the programs.
- Manage any behaviour issues that may come up with participants.
- Interact with parents/guardians of participants and answer questions.
- Take participants on field trips.
Responsibility 4: Evaluation of programs
- Identify potential safety concerns of all camp programs.
- Implement safe work procedures.
- Fill out proper forms when needed (i.e. incident forms).
- Ensure First Aid kit is stocked with appropriate and current items.
Responsibility 5: Obtain career related experience
- Evaluate all summer programs identifying areas of success and areas for improvement.
- Make recommendations for the following year.
Responsibility 6: Obtain career related experience
- Check in with supervisor once per week to discuss successes of the week, areas for improvement, areas that support is needed.
- Implement decision making and problem solving skills when taking a lead role within the camps.
- Establish leadership skills by working with and evaluating volunteers.
- Completion or enrolment in post-secondary education in an applicable degree program (i.e. Recreation Administration, Physical Education, Education).
- Experience working with children and children’s programming is required for this position.
- Demonstrated experience in program development, communication, marketing of programs, and problem solving skills.
- This position involves volunteer management skills, supervisory and leadership skills and capacities.
- Time management and priority settings skills.
- Ability to take initiative for ongoing projects and new projects related to summer camp programs.
- Ability to work well in individual as well as team environments.
- Training in High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development and The Virtues Project will be seen as an asset.
Hours for this position will vary between 7:30am – 5:30pm with the possibility of evening or weekend shifts. You will also be required to work on Canada Day to run a craft tent or similar activity for the Canada Day event in Devon. For the month of May and June you will be working out of the town office doing training, skill development, and planning for the camps. July and August hours will be spent running the day camps.
May 13 – May 31: 15 hours per week
June 30 – June 21: 35 hours per week
June 24 – August 23: 40 hours per week
August 26 – August 29: 32 hours
March 1, 2019, 4:00 p.m. (MST)
To apply to this position, please go to http://www.devon.ca/Online-Services/Employment-Opportunities