Job: Aquatics Supervisor - Royal Glenora Club
The Royal Glenora Club is seeking an experienced, highly qualified and motivated leader to direct its Aquatics Department.
Under the direction of the Director of Recreation, the Aquatics Supervisor will be responsible for the supervision of the operations of the aquatics pools through planning, coordination, scheduling, and evaluating a variety of programs specific to aquatics area within the facility.
This is a scheduled, regular, full time position. This position requires a flexible work schedule to including mornings, evenings and weekends.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND ABILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Director of Recreation, the Aquatic Supervisor will provide technical expertise by:
- Conducting orientation and in-service training of staff to ensure an applied understanding of life support programs (emergency procedures) and techniques, lesson instruction, and knowledge of departmental policies and procedures;
- Instructing advanced level aquatic instructor and lifeguarding programs acting as a mentor for staff, ensuring established safety and customer service standards are met.
- Performing on-deck lifeguarding duties and teaching lessons when required due to staffing levels; and providing input, organizing & supervising special events.
Provides supervision by:
- Planning, assigning, supervising, and checking the work of part time and casual employees engaged in instructional and lifeguarding duties;
- Participating in the selection, recruitment, training, and development process for Aquatic staff;
- Evaluating the work performance of Aquatics staff;
Provides customer service by:
- Communicating effectively with staff (aquatic, administration, maintenance) and Members, fostering a safe and enjoyable aquatic facility;
- Answering enquiries and handling complaints of participants regarding course content and teaching methods of instructors;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
Provides administrative duties by:
- Participating in the planning, organization and promotion of aquatic programs;
- Evaluating and recommending changes to a variety of instructional, competitive and recreational aquatic programs for all ages;
- Ordering and maintaining program inventory and first aid supplies;
- Facilitate swimming lesson administration and data input;
- Performing related duties as assigned.
- Education: Minimum: Grade 12 Diploma. Preferred: Graduation from a four year college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Recreation, Physical Education, or a closely related field
- Proficient knowledge in the areas of lifeguarding, swimming instruction, and emergency procedures
- Current certification as a Life Saving Society Instructor that is valid throughout employment
- Pool Operator Level 1 is REQUIRED and Pool Operator Level 2 is considered an asset
- Valid NLS certification
- Valid First Aid or Aquatic Emergency Care/CPR
- First Aid Level C including CPR which includes A.E.D.
- Lifesaving Society Instructor Certification (LSI) • National Lifeguarding Services Certification (NLS)
- Pool Operators Certification Level 1 with ability to progress to Level 2
- Lifesaving Society Aquatics Supervisor Training (A.S.T.)
- W.H.M.I.S Certification
- Demonstrated computer skills to operate spreadsheet and word processing programs
- Functional office computer skills.
- Plus three (3) years directly related aquatics experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Alberta Class 5 Drivers licence
- Pool Operators Certification Level 2
- Instructor Trainer-National Lifeguard
- Swim For Life Instructor Trainer
- Aqua-aerobics training
- Oxygen Administration (O2), would be an asset
- High degree of verbal, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Considerable knowledge of the Lifesaving Society programs, policies and general pool standards.
- Applied Knowledgeable of aquatic standards (AHS)
- Ability to lead, train, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Sound judgment and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and schedule aquatic program activities.
- Ability to define problems areas, establish work methods and monitor tasks.
- Exceptional ability to self-motivate and function with minimal direction meeting established timelines.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills.
- The ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, YMCA-YWCA staff, members of the general public and external agencies.
- Ability to work within, and contribute to, a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Applied knowledge of WCB regulations and local pool policy with regards to chlorine gas and other types of emergency circumstances, and safe work practices.
- Service Attitude: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person’s experience.
- Relationship Building: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
- Welcoming: Treats everybody in a friendly and respectful manner. Creates a pleasant, user-friendly atmosphere. Goes out of your way to make people feel at ease and makes an effort to learn the names of staff, volunteers, and patrons.
- Quality Focus: Ensures that services criteria for self, staff, and programs are set, reviewed and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
The Royal Glenora Club offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package for this full-time position
The posting will be open until a suitable candidate has been found.
Qualified candidates may submit a resume, with cover letter referring to “Aquatics Supervisor” position to:
Royal Glenora Club
c/o Human Resource Director
11160 River Valley Road NW
Visit our website, royalglenora.com
We thank all applicants for their interest in The Club; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.