Job: Manager of Facilities and Parks - Town of Slave Lake
POSITION TITLE: Manager of Facilities and Parks
DEPARTMENT: Community Services
Under general direction, the Manager of Facilities and Parks is responsible for the development, operations, maintenance and general activities of multiple areas within the District, including, parks, open space, facilities and other duties as assigned. This position performs technical, responsible and professional work at a senior management level. Some typical duties include the following:
- Supervision of staff: Recruiting, hiring, training (skill set, safety, licensing, policies, procedures, etc.), monitoring activities, assigning task and evaluating work.
- Projects: Plan, develop, bid, initiate, schedule, monitor, report and provide review/evaluation.
- Budget: Develop, monitor, evaluate, report on and take the necessary actions to maintain fiscal goals for both revenue and expenditures (operating and capital).
- Operations: Oversees and evaluates operations to develop and implement steps to improve levels of safety, efficiency, quality, customer service and overall effectiveness.
POSITION REPORT TO:
Director of Community Services
EMPLOYEES THAT REPORT DIRECTLY TO THIS POSITION:
MultiRec Centre and Parks Supervisor
Facility Maintenance Supervisor
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
The following duties are an overview of the primary duties and responsibilities of the Parks and Facilities Supervisor’s position and do not constitute an all-inclusive list. These duties and responsibilities establish a flexible, functional base from which the employee operates. The duties and responsibilities may also be modified with additions, deletions or changes as required assist in obtaining organizational goals and objectives.
- Ensures the safe operation of facilities and provision of services for the public and staff members.
- Uses initiative and creativity in managing projects from inception to implementation and delegates assignments to subordinates;
- Manage multiple priorities and demonstrates effective leadership;
- Acts as a liaison to the community, understanding the public’s needs and helping to secure and extend public support and interest
- At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with the elected officials, his or her supervisor, LARPD staff, staff from other agencies, and the public.
- Plans, coordinates, manages and directs a combination of major phases of the District’s services and operations.
- Researches and provides analysis, makes recommendations and submits reports to his/her supervisor.
- Initiates action on projects and operational procedures that result in improvements, efficiencies, effectiveness and/or enhancements to the District’s services.
- Exercises fiscal control over multiple areas including budget development, monitoring, evaluating, reporting and taking the necessary actions to maintain and meet fiscal goals.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Principles, practices, equipment, methods and techniques associated with the development and maintenance of parks, athletic fields, open space, trails, riparian areas, historical structures and facilities management.
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, training, coaching, assigning work, evaluating work and administering progressive discipline.
- Principles, practices, equipment, methods and techniques associated with: landscape maintenance; irrigation; the care of trees, plants and shrubs; and the treatment of plant disease.
- Integrated pest management programs and the chemicals used in horticultural activities, including pesticides and fertilizers.
- Principles, practices, equipment, methods and techniques associated with facilities maintenance and facilities repairs including electrical, plumbing, mechanical and structural systems.
- Principles, practices, training, equipment, methods and techniques used to comply with the occupational hazards and safety regulations associated with parks, open spaces and facilities operations.
- Principles and practices of operational and capital budget development and administration.
WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF
- Various facets of park and open space management and maintenance such as buildings, swim pools, restrooms and historic structures.
- Construction, renovation and repairs of park and recreation facilities including plumbing, electrical, mechanical and structural elements.
- Principles and methods of recreation program and project development, management, and implementation.
- Equipment and methods associated with recreational programming and services.
AUTHORITIES OF THIS POSITION:
- Under the direction of the Director of Community Services, the incumbent must work independently for considerable periods of time in the planning and scheduling of services.
- Full supervisory responsibility for parks, arena and facility maintenance staff. Execute disciplinary actions as outlined in the Grievance/Disciplinary policy.
- Authorize expenditures within purchasing policy guidelines and as approved within annual budget.
- Spending authority of $10,000
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- 3 years’ supervisory experience in municipal setting
- 3 years’ experience operating and maintaining municipal facilities
- Must possess competent computer abilities and be familiar with Microsoft Suite related software
- Possess competent understanding of horticultural practices
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Post-Secondary Education in a Recreation Administration related program
- Hold a current class 5 driver’s license and current First Aid with CPR
- Facility Maintenance Training
- Proven experience in the coordination and planning of capital projects.
- RFP Arena Operator 1 and 2
Open Until Filled