Job: Aquatics Coordinator - Town of Canmore
Why work for the Town of Canmore?
For starters, you can take great pride in our collaborative organization, its positive work culture and our amazing group of talented people who genuinely care about our community and accomplish outstanding work each and every day. You will have the opportunity to join an aquatics team that is professional, fun, dedicated and passionate about aquatics, our community, and the endless opportunities for sport and recreation in our magnificent Rocky Mountain environment. You will get to be part of a vital service for local families that supports adults, children and athletes with high quality aquatics programs in world class facilities.
This is the perfect job for someone who strives to make meaningful and direct impacts in the community through the use of their teamwork, leadership and relationship building skills. You will have the opportunity to take a leadership role with a talented and energetic team of aquatics and recreation professionals to support programs and services that enhance both quality of sport and quality of life for citizens and visitors to our community. This position will provide you with both teamwork and leadership opportunities, as you will work as part of the Aquatics Leadership team to maintain the day to day operations and procedures, pool maintenance, programs and customer service. You will be a coach, mentor and trainer for new staff and take a lead in programming implementation and instruction. As a role model for both staff and the community, you will have the opportunity to hone and model exceptional customer service skills, helping to make Elevation Place a popular destination for both residents and visitors from around the world! For a detailed position description, please click here!
This full time position requires a 40 hour per week commitment and has a variable schedule which includes evenings, weekends and holidays required.
This is the perfect job for a confident, energetic and approachable individual with proven leadership abilities and a strong commitment to exceptional customer service. You have a minimum of two years related experience in the aquatics industry as both a lifeguard and instructor. You hold current certifications as a Red Cross Water Safety Instructor and/or Lifesaving Society Instructor, National Lifeguard Service award, Standard First Aid, CPR/AED and WHMIS. Pool Operator Level 1, Fitness or other specialty certification (i.e. Kayak, Swim Coach, and Synchronized swimming Certification) is considered a strong asset.
The Aquatics Coodinator is responsible for assisting in the development, coordination, and implementation of Aquatic programs, services, and eventswhich are inclusive and serve to respond to diverse and changing community needs. This position will seek and encourage cooperative partnerships which contribute to the effective and efficient delivery of services. Additionally, this position oversees the day to day on deck procedures, pool maintenance, inventory, and aquatic programs, as well as handle daily functions of the aquatic area and training of staff.
- Identify and assess community aquatic program and recreational needs/demands.
- Ensure aquatic recreation access is inclusive and accessible to all residents of Canmore.
- Assist in the marketing and promotions of aquatic programs and Town of Canmore facilities.
- Ensure continuous evaluation of programs and services and respond to customer concerns in a timely fashion.
- Respect customer confidentiality and adhere to all relevant industry regulations, acts, and guidelines.
- Provide timely and professional interaction with all members and guests of Elevation Place to ensure safe, quality customer service and satisfaction
- Model the core values of the organization.
- Responsible for aquatic programing, including scheduling and on deck supervision,
- Assist in the training, supervision, and scheduling related to the delivery of aquatic programs and services, and ensure that all personnel administration is accurate and current.
- Provide support and direction to Aquatic Instructors through regular meetings, and performance feedback in collaboration with the Supervisor of Aquatics.
- Assist in the development of Aquatic Department Policies in conjunction with all Provincial regulations and standards and the Supervisor of Aquatics.
- Responsible for the long term/short term planning for aquatic program and training development in collaboration with the Supervisor of Aquatics.
- Work with the Aquatics Supervisor to develop relationships and liaise with the local school divisions, community groups, and other stakeholders to explore and develop integrated aquatic programs
- Ensure safe and efficient pool operation and assists with planning in the annual maintenance shutdown with the Facility Operations team.
- Operate Aquatic programs, services and events in accordance with The Natural Step principles.
- Is knowledgeable about the IntelliLeisure software and the most effective methods for entering and retrieving data
- Participate and engage in team meetings to identify patterns or trends, problem solve issues, improve existing programs or develop new ones and ensure the overall Aquatic and Recreation Services team success
- Demonstrate positive, effective communication skills and interactions with team members and resolve issues when they arise
- Share pertinent information with the Supervisor, team members and co-workers at Elevation Place as needed
- Work cooperatively with team members and all Town of Canmore employees for the success of Elevation Place
- Act as the Manager on Duty during assigned shifts
- Act in alignment with the Town of Canmore core values and workplace policies;
- Identifies when things are out of alignment and acts as an agent for positive change
- Participate in ongoing staff development including training, orientations, hands on learning, ongoing communication, and provide input for coaching, performance management and evaluation to the casual staff
- Assist with the staff recruitment process and strategic planning as required
- Act as a positive role model for staff, members and guests of Elevation Place
- Demonstrates a willingness and commitment to learning over time for improved service delivery and organizational efficiency
- Learns the tasks and procedures of other positions in order to provide efficient back-up when required
- Demonstrate positive, effective communication skills and interactions with all Town of Canmore employees and the general public
- Share pertinent information with the team, the organization and the customer proactively
- Approach team members for performance and disciplinary measures in a pleasant and tactful manner
- Communicate with Aquatic Facility patrons and educate them about our policies and procedures
- Assist in the marketing and promotions of Aquatic programs and Town of Canmore facilities
Health & Safety
- Manage the health and safety of staff, co-workers, customers, and volunteers; this involves following the Town policy, identifying hazards, training staff, attending safety meetings, investigating incidents, responding to health and safety concerns, and setting a positive example.
- Practice strong risk management and educate others in risk and harm reduction
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of all information and procedures for emergency response, site safety and security.
- Assists with and maintain backroom and chemical supplies.
- Participate in creative problem solving aligned with corporate values
- Contribute creative solutions in a collaborative team environment to achieve results while minimizing risk exposure
- Ability to work a variety of shift times and hours including evenings and weekends as required
- Provide swim instruction, aquafit instruction, lifeguarding and special programs to members and guests of Elevation Place, as required
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Certifications
- Minimum high school diploma, with additional post-secondary education in a related field such as Kinesology or Recreation preferred
- National Lifeguard Service Award, Standard First Aid, CPR/AED level C and WHMIS certification required
- Red Cross Water Safety and Lifesaving Society Instructor certification required
- First Aid Instructor, National Lifegaurd Instructor and Intructor Trainer certifications an asset
Abilities & Experience
- Minimum three years of experience in the Aquatic industry, at a coordinator, programmer or supervisory level
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite IntelliLeisure and Dayforce Software
- Confident, personable, approachable and fun nature
- Strong organizational skills
- Creative and promotes a positive work culture
- Works well independently and with teams
- Exercises discretion and judgment in handling sensitive information
- Analyzes and solves problems systematically
- Strong oral and written communication
Open Until Filled
How to Apply: Applications (Including resume, cover letter and relevant certifications) must be submitted in one combined word or PDF document in our online application system:
In your cover letter, please be prepared to answer the following questions:
-Why do you want to be a head lifeguard? What do you love about aquatics!?
-What previous leadership experience or attitudes do you have that would make you a great team leader/mentor?
-What does excellent team work look like to you and how will you bring this attitude to the team?
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the submission of a current clean RCMP criminal records check.
The Town of Canmore wishes to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.